060608


Chiesa Santa Brigida

Typology: Non Parish Church

Address

Address: Piazza Farnese, 96
Zone: Rione Regola (Campo de' Fiori-Piazza Farnese) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Telephone: +39 06 68892596 - 68892497
Fax: 06 68219126
Web site: www.brigidine.org

Opening times

Everyday: 4.00 pm - 5.00 pm;
St. Bridget's house can be visited on working days from 9.30 am to 11.30 am and from 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm;
Visitors are not  allowed  during  Mass (religious services)
For services schedule please refer to:
Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church

 

Description

The Swedish noble Brigitta Persson, founder ofthe order of the Holy Saviour, came to Rome in 1349 and founded a home for herneedy fellow countryman next to which a church dedicated to her was built,in 1391, year in which she was canonized, achurch  dedicated to her was built. The church and the home for theneedy were restored many times, but the main works were finally made in the beginningearlyC.XVIIIof the eighteenth century. The facade presents a portal surrounded by twoCorinthian columns. On top of the gable stand the statues of S. Brigida and herdaughter S. Caterina. The interior has a single nave with two lateralaltars. The barrel shaped vault was built in 1709 by Biagio Puccini, who alsomade the paintings, which decorate the lateral walls (1705). In the home next to the church one can visit therooms,  where S.Brigida and her daughter S.Caterina from Swedenl ived, can be visited.
Last checked: 2018-10-19 12:34
©2007 - Roma Classic version