Chiesa San Giovanni Battista dei Genovesi

Typology: Non Parish Church


Address: Via Anicia, 12
Zone: Rione Trastevere (Gianicolo) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address


Telephone: +39 06 5812416
Fax: +39 06 5812416

Opening times

Visitors are not  allowed  during  Mass (religious services)
For services schedule please refer to:
Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church or visit: www.confraternita-sgbg.it/
Tue-Thu 2.00pm-4.00pm(winter) 3.00pm-6.00pm(summertime)

The church opens during the mass only.
The church can be visited upon request by fax or via e-mail only.

Gli orari possono subire cambiamenti. Si suggerisce di verificare contattando la chiesa


The church of San Giovanni Battista dei Genovesi was built in 1481 and almost completely restored in 1864. Most of the church’s fame derives from the adjacent cloister, attributed to Baccio Pontelli. This is the best example of fifteen-century cloister: the arched porch and the architraved loggia have travertine octagonal pilasters, typical of the architecture from the period under Pope Sisto IV. The church owes its name to the fact that the Genoan sailors were used to rest in the nearby hospice, upon disembarking in the close harbor of Ripa Grande. Via the cloister one may access teh church, which has a single nave whose only antique parts, still present nowadays, are the Renaissance tabernacle of the "Oli Santi", by Andrea Bregno and the "Apparizione della Madonna" by Giovanni Odazi.

See also

Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Architectural and historical heritage
Last checked: 2018-01-11 10:25
©2007 - Roma Classic version