Chiesa San Bonaventura al Palatino

Typology: Non Parish Church


Address: Via di San Bonaventura, 7
Zone: Rione Campitelli (Foro Romano- Campidoglio-P.Venezia) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address


Telephone: +39 06 6780331 (ore 16-18.30)
Fax: +39 06 69292782

Opening times

Visitors are not  allowed  during  Mass (religious services)
For services schedule please refer to:
Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church


It is dedicated to St Bonaventura da Bagnoreggio (1221-1274), a Franciscan father who later became the general minister of the order. The church was built in 1675 for cardinal Francesco Barberini on top of an ancient tanker of the aqueduct of emperor Claudius (41-54). A small convent was annexed and given to the order of the Spanish Barefoot Franciscans. Restored in 1839-40, it was known as “alla Polveriera” for the vicinity in the sixteenth century of a gun powder factory. On its simple facade there is a portal with two lateral niches, on top of which stands the statue of San Bonaventura dating back to the 18th century. The interior has a single nave and on the sides of the main altar are two small chapels with smaller altars on the walls. In the church are kept the bodies of the blessed Bonaventura and of San Leonardo from Porto Maurizio.
Last checked: 2019-05-13 15:43
©2007 - Roma Classic version