Chiesa di Santo Spirito in Sassia (Santuario della Divina Misericordia)

Typology: Non Parish Church


Address: Via dei Penitenzieri, 12
Zone: Rione Borgo (Castel Sant'Angelo) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address


Telephone: +39 06 6879310
Fax: +39 06 6833445

Opening times

Open 07:30am-12:00pm 03:00pm-06:30pm
Sunday 09:30am-01:00pm 03:00pm-06:30pm
Visitors are not  allowed  during  Mass (religious services)
For services schedule please call the Church
Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church or visit: www.divinamisericordia.it/orari.html



The church of Santo Spirito in Sassia was built ont he place where once was a church dedicated to the Vergine made by order of the king Ine di Sassia, for the pilgrims of the Saxon "nation" sassone (the West Saxons, which procured the actual name Wessex). The church, repeatedly ruined and destroyed in the course of centuries, was mostly rebuilt after the plundering of Rome, by Antonio Sangallo il Giovane (1538 - 1544), and completed under the papacy of Pio V. The high façade is considered to be by Ottaviano Mascherino, who carried it out made by order of Pope Sisto V, according to a drawing by Sangallo. It is all in plaster, on two different orders: the first one has six pilaster strips that include the portal and four niches; the second one has four pilaster strips, comprising a large perforated brick surmounted by Sisto V’s coat of arms. The interior, with a spacious nave of five chapels per side and a big apse, has a magnificent effect for the elegance of its lines, correctness of proportions and for the rich pictorial decoration. The nave and the side chapels, in fact, are decorated by a series of vivacious and bright frescoes.

For more information

Culture and leisure › Historic places of worship › Catholic Churches
Last checked: 2017-05-08 15:02
©2007 - Roma Classic version