060608


ETRU - Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia

Typology: Archaeological Museums, State Museum

Address

Address: Piazzale di Villa Giulia, 9
Zone: Quartiere Pinciano (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Opening times

Villa Giulia
Tuesday-Sunday: 9.00 am - 8.00 pm
Closed: Monday, December 25, January 1

The ticket office closes one hour before closing time 

Villa Poniatowski Branch
Open Fri and Sat 10am-1pm
Last entry before 12.15pm

Information

Full ticket € 10,00
Concessions
€ 2,00 EU members between 18 and 25 years old 
Next free admission days
1 December 2019 first Sunday of the month
5 January 2020 first Sunday of the month
2 February 2020 first Sunday of the month
1 March 2020 first Sunday of the month

Free admission
- European and non-European people under 18
- tour guides from the European Union practising their professional activity;
- tour interpreters from the European Union practising their professional activity;
- employees of the Ministry for the Cultural Heritage and Activities ;
- members of ICOM (International Council of Museums);
- members of ICCROM (International organization for conservation of cultural heritage);
- reserved school groups from European Union schools, accompanied by one teacher every 10 students;
- teachers and students of faculties of Architecture, Conservation of the Cultural Heritage, Education Sciences, and degree courses in the Arts, or in literary subjects with a specialisation in archaeology or art history, in Humanities faculties of Universities from the European Union;
- students enrolled in these specialisations of faculties of Architecture, Conservation of the Cultural Heritage, Education Sciences, and of degree courses in the Arts, or in literary subjects with a - specialisation in archaeology or art history, in Humanities faculties of Universities and doctorate students in the aforementioned disciplines;
- Socrates and Erasmus students of the aforementioned disciplines;
- teachers and students of Fine Arts Academies from the European Union;
- teachers of Art History in Upper Secondary Schools;
- students of the following schools: Istituto Centrale del Restauro, Opificio delle Pietre Dure, Scuola per il Restauro del Mosaico;
- journalists in the italian national register or any other journalist from a foreign country, only for work porpouses and according to a valid document proving the given professionalism;
- disabled persons and a companion;
- members of volunteer work associations of the Cultural Heritage

Agreement with

Roma Pass

Booking

» Obligatory for Groups

Today's events

Scheduled events

Description

The ETRU National Etruscan Museum is housed in two magnificent Renaissance villas.

Villa Giulia
Constructed by Pope Julius III, Giovanni Maria Ciocchi del Monte, between 1550 and 1555, Villa Giulia is a stunning Renaissance villa featuring a landscaped garden with terraces connected by spectacular stairways, nymphaea and fountains.

The greatest artists of the era – Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola, Bartolomeo Ammannati, Giorgio Vasari and Michelangelo Buonarroti – were involved in the design of the Villa, while some decorative elements were produced by Taddeo Zuccari and Prospero Fontana.
 
The hemicycle is decorated with subtle paintings inspired by the grotesques of Rome’s Domus Aurea. The rooms contain an extraordinary series of frescoes with depictions of the Seven Hills of Rome.
In 1889, the Villa became the seat of the National Etruscan Museum.

Villa Poniatowski

The Villa was inaugurated in 2012 and is ETRU’s second branch. Its rooms feature exhibits from Latium Vetus and Umbria. A refurbishment is underway on a large area that will be used for temporary exhibitions.
 
It was transformed into a villa at the start of the 19th century by Giuseppe Valadier at the behest of Stanislaw Poniatowski, the nephew of the last King of Poland. With its main façade overlooking via Flaminia, the Villa is embellished with pools and fountains, while the large stepped terrace garden is adorned with ancient sculptures.
 
A number of discoveries were made during the refurbishment works in 1997, including the unearthing of the remains of the Villa’s original 16th century structure, the remains of two fountains, fixtures from pools and fountains, as well as pictorial and decorative elements.

Agreement with

Hospitality › Services › Animals

For more information

Culture and leisure › Green › Gardens, villas and urban parks

See also

Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Architectural and historical heritage
Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Archaeological heritage
Last checked: 2019-12-11 10:19
©2007 - Roma Classic version