060608


Palazzo della Banca d'Italia - Palazza Koch

Typology: Buildings

Address

Address: Via Nazionale, 91
Zone: Rione Monti (Colosseo-S.Giovanni-S.Maria Maggiore) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Description

The building was built as the head office of the Banca Nazionale, by Gaetano Koch. The architect’s name came to be used for the building itself and it is now conventionally called Palazzo Koch.
Palazzo Koch was built in the years 1888-93 and was originally used to house the Bank’s top management, the Rome branch and banknote printing works. The building, which together with others built subsequently by the Bank occupies a whole block, still houses the top management, the Paolo Baffi Library and the money and banknote museums. After the first expansion on neighbouring lots, the Bank’s growing needs led to some functions being located in a series of buildings, some of which close to Via Nazionale, such as the new Rome branch in Via XX Settembre, and others on the eastern edge of the city close to the site of the new printing works, designed in the 1960s by Pier Luigi Nervi. Later, 1999 saw the opening in the municipality of Frascati of the Donato Menichella Centre, designed by Valle, Chiarini and others. The Centre, named after Donato Menichella, Governor of the Bank from 1948 to 1960, houses several the Bank’s departments and is a key part of its infrastructure in the Rome area.
Last checked: 2018-10-08 12:30
©2007 - Roma Classic version