060608


Palazzo del Commendatore

Typology: Buildings

Address

Address: Borgo Santo Spirito, 3
Zone: Rione Borgo (Castel Sant'Angelo) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Telephone: +39 06 68352353
Fax: +39 06 6833485

Opening times

Only the courtyard can be seen.

Description

The original seat of the person in charge of the Associated Hospitals of the Holy Spirit (Ospedali Riuniti di S. Spirito), the building was rebuilt during the papacy of pope Pius V (1566-1572), after a project by Nanni Baccio Bigio. The 15th century structure was destroyed by the army of Charles V during the Sack of Rome in 1527. The severe façade of the building has eight windows on each of the two storeys. Inside is a large courtyard onto which looks an extremely elegant portico, with round arches supported by light marble columns. It is worth seeing a curious clock (1827) surmounted by a bronze cardinal’s hat. The frescoes of the building depict the history of the foundation of the Hospital. The Palazzo, in addition to the administrative office of the hospital,  houses the Museo Storico Nazionale dell'Arte Sanitaria (National Museum of Health) and the Accademia Lancisiana (Lancisian Academy) with its library

See also

Culture and leisure › Cultural institutions › Academies and institutes
Culture and leisure › Cultural institutions › Libraries
Culture and leisure › Cultural heritage › Museums
Last checked: 2019-01-24 10:16
©2007 - Roma Classic version