060608


Palazzo del Banco di Santo

Typology: Buildings

Address

Second Entrance: Via del Banco di Santo Spirito, 31
Zone: Rione Ponte (Via Coronari-Ponte Vittorio) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address

Description

The building was chosen as the seat for the Papal Mint by Julius II Della Rovere (1503-1513), who adapted a pre-existing building to its new function, probably by  Bramante. The present façade was realized around 1520 for Leo X Medici (1513-1521), by Antonio da Sangallo the Young (1483-1546). In 1665 it became the seat of the Bank of the Holy Spirit, founded by Paul V Borghese (1605-1621) in 1605; on this occasion the inside of the building was adapted to its new function by architect Giovanni Tommasi Ripoli. The façade of the trapezoidal building is slightly concave and has a rusticated base with the door and two windows. The upper part is divided by four pilasters upon a tall base, in the centre of which is an arch, at their sides are two windows divided by two circular elements. For these elements Sangallo drew inspiration from the arches of ancient Rome. On top of the façade are two baroque statues of Charity and Frugality. Between the statues – on top of the façade – is the coat of arms of Paul V. In the middle of the arch, upon the main door, is the coat of arms of Clement IX Rospigliosi (1667-1669) and an inscription that indicates the year of foundation of the Bank of the Holy Spirit. The hospital, too, benefited from the system. The Banco di Santo Spirito still exists but is part of the Banca di Roma.
Notes: The building is closed to the public and can be seen only from the outside.
Last checked: 2016-11-22 16:45
©2007 - Roma Classic version