060608


Fontana dei Catecumeni in Piazza Madonna dei Monti

Typology: Fountains

Address

Address: Piazza Della Madonna dei Monti
Zone: Rione Monti (Colosseo-S.Giovanni-S.Maria Maggiore) (Roma centro)
Enter your starting address

Contacts

Description

The fountain of Madonna dei Monti was commissioned to Giacomo Della Porta by pope Sixtus the Fifth Peretti (1585-1590). It was built between 1588 and 1589 by the stone-cutter Battista Rusconi. The model that inspired the author was the fountain of Santa Maria in Trastevere, although this fountain presents less decorative motifs. It consists of a travertine octagon-shaped pond that restson a four-step basis. The coats of arms of Sixtus the Fifth and of the Municipality are sculpted on the faces of the pond. Each of the two shaped shafts in the centre supports two basins placed one above the other. The water pours from the upper basin, decorated with masks and swags and surmounted by the trimonzio (pope Sixtus the Fifth’s coat of arms), and flows into the lower basin from which it pours into the octagonal pond through four lion heads.The Maestro Ottorino Respighi often visited this fountain to draw inspiration for his symphonic poem Le Fontane di Roma (The Fountains of Rome).
Last checked: 2016-10-12 17:03
©2007 - Roma Classic version